Throndir, the Gunslinger[note 1], formerly the Ranger, is a skilled woodsman known for his skill at surviving in the wilderness alongside his loyal dog Kodiak. Originally from the snow elf settlement of Auniq, he went into exile and is now a traveling adventurer.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
He can put in a day's work, but then he can also put away those chicken wings."”
Throndir is strong in a blue-collar sort of way and is a little chubby, having gained the 'freshman fifteen', as it were, after leaving Auniq for places where food is less scarce and cuisine is more varied, though he has begun to lose some of that weight by season three. Similarly, he has wild hair not in a 'cool long braided ranger hair way' but rather akin to a college kid trying to grow out their hair and beard for the first time. As a snow elf, Throndir has a mixture of elf and goblin heritage. His blood is purple. His eyes are green.
Throndir wears leather armor and warm traveling clothes that are comfortable to move in.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Throndir is fresh-faced and idealistic, but less so than some may think, after the trials that he has gone through. He acts on a sort of 'common sense' moral system and does what feels right in his gut.
Alignment[edit | edit source]
Throndir's alignment is Good. He gains experience by putting himself at risk to help improve someone else's life.
His previous alignment was Chaotic. He received experience by freeing someone "from literal or figurative bonds".
Bonds[edit | edit source]
Old[edit | edit source]
Fantasmo is an elf, but he's one of the strangest people I've met, and I have to learn more about him. I implicitly trust Hadrian for fighting to protect me. Adaire , the new mapmaker, does not understand life in the wild, so I will teach them. I can learn a lot from Hella about how to be a successful adventurer for hire. We may not do it for the same reasons, but at the end of the day I trust Hadrian to do the right thing. If I have a harebrained scheme and need support, Adaire is my best bet. Now that I'm a vampire, I cannot let Hella find out what I've become. I've come a long way since our first adventure, and it's time to start earning Hadrian's respect.
Current[edit | edit source]
- Ephrim never wavered during the worst years at the Last University, so I will always heed his counsel.
- I'm not sure Fero knows what it means to help someone besides himself.
- I'm not so sure I can look at Hadrian the same way after learning he willingly gave Benjamin over to Arrell.
History[edit | edit source]
After seeing something he was never meant to, Throndir fled the only home he had ever known and began to rebuild his life in Velas. Alongside his loyal dog, Kodiak, Throndir’s sharpened survival skills has earned him a spot on the team, but his naïve nature and clouded past leave more questions than answers about what’s in it for him.”
Throndir grew up in the isolated survivalist society of Auniq within the Mark of the Erasure, but went into exile after witnessing the disturbing experiments that the village elders, trying to learn why they had lost the youth of their species, were performing on younger elves such as himself.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Throndir is an experienced woodsman with a strong affinity for nature.
- Hunt & Track: Throndir can follow the trail left behind by a quarry.
- Animal Companion: His powerful bond with Kodiak enables the two of them to work together in ways that few can.
- This Is My Boom-Stick!: As an officer of the Golden Lance, Throndir owns a unique firearm.
- Gunslinger's Oath: As long as Throndir keeps true to the oath he took upon being initiated into the Golden Lance, his gun will fire true. He is bound to uphold the following principles:
- Never leave a comrade behind
- Always protect the weak.
- Always show courage in the face of danger.
- Trick Shot: Throndir can perform an improbable shot with an unusual effect.
- Big Damn Hero: Throndir can increase his skill with his gun by going above and beyond the call of duty to uphold his oath.
- Eagle Eye: When discerning realities, Throndir is especially perceptive, particularly with regard to escape routes, cover, and allies in danger.
Vampire abilities[edit | edit source]
- Nosferatu: Throndir is an ageless vampire. When mortally wounded, unless he was killed by a weakness or utterly annihilated, he turns into mist and returns to his last safe resting place, having gained hunger. He is weak to the following (with the possibility of other, as-yet-unknown weaknesses):
- The smell of burning licorice root
- Ordennan steel
- The sound of three certain musical notes played in succession
- Apex Predator: Throndir can gain Vigor by draining energy from a living person, either leaving them weakened or killing them outright.
- The Blood is Life!: Throndir does not regain health by making camp or resting; he must spend Vigor. Resting without spending Vigor increases his hunger, which may cause him to lose control in the future.
Former abilities[edit | edit source]
Upon making the change from the Ranger to the Gunslinger, Throndir left behind several advanced moves which were no longer central to his identity.
- Wild Empathy: Throndir can no longer speak to and understand animals.
- Called Shot: By aiming at range at a surprised or defenseless target, he could target their arms, legs, or head to impair or stun them.
- Camouflage: By standing still in natural surroundings, Throndir could remain unseen until he made a move.
- Kindrali's Chosen: When the Ice Party defeated the word eater that was impersonating Kindrali, Throndir formed a lasting bond with the deity due to his goblin heritage and gained the ability to receive visions of things seen by Kindrali, He Who Knows. However, this bond is no longer accessible to him, perhaps due to his vampirism or to Kindrali's spirit being swallowed up by the Heat and the Dark's consumption of Hieron.
Origin[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This playbook comes from Peter Johansen's Dungeon World War and Wonders Pack. Throndir also has moves from the Vampire playbook, from Johansen's Lore and Lords Pack.